Saturday, April 18, 2015

Cathedral Gorge State Park


Cathedral Gorge is a couple hours NW of Las Vegas off Hwy 93.      Millions of years ago this was a fresh water lake.    You can explore the narrow canyons that cut deep into the old muds that millions of years ago were at the bottom of the lake.    You can even crawl through tunnels to discover hidden chambers in the network of canyons.       I'm not a cave person, so we skipped that option.







In the lower right hand corner you can see the sand path leading into one of the slot canyons.   You go up the sand incline a few feet and turn right.     I have been in other slot canyons, but this is the narrowest ever.



This is a partial view looking up.    Sorry, I don't have anything in the photo to give you a sense of how high up this is.    Trust me, it's really tall.      All of the slots we went into had this one smooth area.       Any ideas why?      It's not in the literature.



This is one of the slot canyons.    The dark area in the lower middle is where we entered.     The next picture shows RJ entering.



There are several forks off this slot canyon, but most of them end up in a small room/cave.      Still, it would be easy to get lost in the maze of slot canyons within the area we entered.


The tripod was an unnecessary item - there was rarely any place large enough to open the legs.

The winds are still active here, so the ranger recommended that we not take any of the hikes in the park.     It ended up being a long drive to walk in a couple of slot canyons and return.    Oh well, it was different from the other parks in the desert and it was fun exploring in the slots.


1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've been there. Isn't it terrible to get to a point where you can't recall something like this? It looks fabulous and I think I'd enjoy the walking through the slot canyon. My luck my pudgy self would get stuck and need rescuing.

    ReplyDelete