Sunday, January 17, 2016

One of my favorites for a winter's day ..............................

The Packers are playing against Arizona in the play offs.     Since I have a clear view of the TV from the kitchen of our condo in Las Vegas, it's the perfect time to make one of my favorite meals.
 
This is a very easy meal, but it takes a bunch of time.    One hour 45 minutes from the time you take your items from the fridge until you are eating.    Believe me, it is worth it !!!    Plus, if there are just two of you, you have yummy leftovers................

I like to add a little fresh Parmesan to my plate, but RJ doesn't.    That's strictly a personal choice.




SPINACH NOODLES WITH BOLOGNESE SAUCE
TOTAL TIME:    1 HOUR 45 MINUTES                          SERVES:   4

1 / 4 CUP OLIVE OIL
1 / 3 STICK BUTTER
3 STALKS CELERY, (chopped into small dice)
2 CARROTS,  (chopped into small dice)
1 CUP WHOLE MILK
3 / 4 LB LEAN GROUND BEEF     *see note below
1 / 4 LB GROUND PORK      *see note below
6 OZ CAN TOMATO PASTE
28 OZ CAN TOMATOES – Pear shaped best, but peeled whole tomatoes are fine
12 OZ SPINACH NOODLES – If you have trouble finding – try the organic foods section – DeBoles brand makes Spinach Fettuccine which works just fine.   Sometimes I luck out and find the fresh stuff in the refrigerator case which is best.     Once I made my own  (yes, I have the pasta maker attachment for my mixer)     Believe me, it’s not worth the work for this particular recipe.

PUT BUTTER, OIL, CELERY AND CARROTS INTO MEDIUM SIZED SAUCEPAN.    SIMMER OVER LOW FIRE ABOUT 10 MINUTES.   STIR FREQUENTLY SO VEGETABLES WILL COOK BUT NOT BROWN.

ADD RAW GROUND BEEF AND GROUND PORK.   CONTINUE STIRRING UNTIL MEAT IS BROKEN UP AND WELL MIXED WITH VEGETABLES (ABOUT 10 MINUTES)

ADD MILK AND WHEN IT HAS ALMOST EVAPORATED OR ABSORBED INTO MIXTURE, CRUSH TOMATOES (your hands work best for this)  AND ADD TO MIXTURE ALONG WITH TOMATO PASTE.   MIX WELL.

SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE, COVER AND COOK 45 MINUTES.

COOK NOODLES – (They cook faster than package says – you don’t want them mushy)    DRAIN.

SERVE WITH WARM BREAD.

NOTE:     I will frequently buy 1 lb of lean ground beef and 1 lb of ground pork.     I use half of each in this recipe and freeze the other two halves (labeling them that they are for this recipe).     I don’t feel it changes the taste and I don’t have to wait for the meat department to be free and get me exact amounts.    If you do this, also buy the other ingredients for your pantry so that you are set to go without a trip to the store.

Even though the Packers didn't win their game, it was exciting and we ended up eating true comfort food along with sharing a bottle of 19 Crimes Cabernet.







No comments:

Post a Comment